Who doesn't want their shanty to be a bit savvy, a bit clever, creative, a bit sensible, sharp and ingenious?! But hey, let's face it, most of us are living on a shoestring. Here's how I'm doing it my way, making our nest a Savvy Shanty.















Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas Goodies

Merry Christmas Y'all! So I don't know if you know this or not, but I am not a baker. Alas, the baking of sweets for the neighbors isn't really an option. I don't enjoy it. I have a theory about baking. If you are a rule follower, you like to bake. If you are fly by the seat of your pants kinda person, you like to cook. In baking you have to follow the rules; there is no improvising, skipping or tossing the recipe out the window. With cooking, you can pretty much do whatever the heck you want. Now, this post really doesn't have a dang thing to do with cooking other than it is a gift that doesn't involve it. So, here's a handmade gift I made for my neighbors. It's a Christmas Survival Kit.  All of the goodies were found objects here in my house! So it cost me nada! Unlike baking, which cost an arm and a leg!

 Here's what we started with, recycled jars, smarties, tea bags, gum, candle, staples, paperclips, note cards, confetti, candy cane, travel toothpaste, and a bible verse.
Here is just one of many bible verses you can use:

Isaiah 9:6 For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Also a scrap of fabric to cover the lid and some twine. I hot glued the fabric to the lid so that it wouldn't fall off when the lid was removed. You can see in the above pics that I also used a punch and a stamp to make a label topper.

 Add one each of the above list into the jar. Print out a Christmas Survival Kit List. Sorry Y'all, I don't know how attach a printable. But feel free copy this one and use it. I printed mine on heavy card stock.

 Christmas Survival Kit
Notepad: for last minute gift ideas
Smarties: to remind you to spend wisely
Paper clips: to help you hold  it together waiting in line
Candle: to remind you there is a light at the end  of the tunnel
Stick of Gum: to remind you to stick to your list
Green Tea: to help keep your immune system strong
Candy Cane: to settle your stomach after over indulging
Staples: to keep your family together
Toothpaste: To freshen your breath before your New Years kiss
Confetti: to remind you to have fun
Bible Verse: To remember the reason for the season






So there you have a super quick, easy and cheap little gift for your neighbors. Although mine said it should include a mini bottle to help get them through it. But then again, most of my neighbors have a pretty well stocked liquor cabinet so I'm pretty confident they will survive!

Hope you have been enjoying your holidays.

ginger

Linking up to:

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Cute idea - wish I had found it before Christmas. Will have to remember for next year. Happy New Year to you

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...